Congressional Campaign Platform
STATE REP. SCOTT PERRY
CONGRESSIONAL CAMPAIGN PLATFORM
(a/o 15 MAR 12)
As a businessman, soldier and elected official I have the proven record of accomplishments, tireless community service and substantive experience necessary to perform the duties required of a legislative representative at the federal level.
As a small businessman, not only have I signed the front of a paycheck, but I’ve also created jobs in my community. As an officer and commander, I led a battalion into Iraq, successfully completed dangerous missions and, most importantly, returned every soldier safely home to their loved ones. As a State Representative, I have fought for the citizens of Pennsylvania by defending conservative principles such as lower taxes, less government/regulation and policies that make Pennsylvania more business friendly by supporting good, family-sustaining jobs.
As your next Congressman, I pledge to support the following policies.
- Support of Balanced Budget Amendment: There is no greater issue than getting our fiscal house in order. The current state of the federal budget is deplorable, unsustainable and must be fixed. Each time I look at my daughters, I am reminded of – and embarrassed by - the deplorable manner in which we are saddling their generation with enormous debt.
- Eliminate Wasteful Government Spending: After eight years of the tax-and-spend policies of former Governor Rendell, I lead the fight in the General Assembly to reduce a $4 billion budget gap and pass a state budget with no new taxes. This was the first time in modern history that we were able to cut overall state spending.
- Reform of the Federal Tax Code: We must lower taxes, simplify the Tax Code and broaden the base in order to make it more equitable and fair.
- Repeal of Obamacare: The federal government has been allowed to enact freedom-robbing laws and regulations that are not articulated in our Constitution. We must get back to allowing the states to govern themselves; which is why I’m a co-sponsor of the bill that would render “Obamacare” unenforceable in Pennsylvania.
- Seniors: The political brinksmanship that has befallen Medicare and Social Security has to stop and it has to stop now. We need to develop effective, common sense solutions that do not threaten the promise we have given to our senior. To treat this serious issue as a pawn in a power game is unconscionable.
- Support a Strong National Defense: We must remain vigilant by maintaining a strong military. As an Army Officer, I have led troops overseas in Iraq and Bosnia and know the danger that lurks in those regions and throughout the world. We must never again let down our guard.
- Pro Life: I am a strong supporter of the Pro Life movement. Life – born and unborn – is sacred. In the wake of the Gosnell atrocities, I have co-sponsored and voted for state legislation that requires abortion clinics to meet the same standards of safety and health as any other outpatient surgical facility.
- Support / Defend the 2nd Amendment: I was proud to be the prime sponsor of the Castle Doctrine (HB 40), enacted by Governor Corbett, which allows citizens to defend themselves at any place they lawfully are permitted to be.
- 10th Amendment: The federal government was never intended to be the stronger power over rights of the individual states. For too long, our freedoms, rights and money have been taken by Washington, which has resulted in our becoming second-class citizens in our own Nation. I will fight to reduce federal influence in our daily lives and ever-increasing regulations that stifle our businesses growth (i.e., “Obamacare”). I will fight to ensure the federal government stops taking our hard-earned dollars and handing it back to us – with strings attached, no less – like they’re doing us some kind of favor. Enough is enough.
- Dodd/Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act: This initiative – ironically under the guise of “reform” - makes it impossible for honest, hard-working citizens to obtain a loan to purchase a home, for businesses to maintain adequate levels of credit and for our community banks to survive.
- Pro-Worker: I am a strong supporter of Right to Work legislation that would allow anyone the right to work at any job without being mandated to join a union; however, the legislation does not prevent such for those who wish to be part of a union.
- Energy Independence: We must become independent of our dependence on foreign oil. In an increasingly unsettled Middle East, we must nurture jobs in America through our own energy production – the best example of which is the Keystone Pipeline. Another good example is the legislation I drafted to encourage the production of natural gas vehicles to be used in Pennsylvania; current regulations actually deter their import/use. Natural gas vehicles are 90% cleaner than gas and PA has abundant natural gas deposits - making this fuel half as expensive as gasoline.
- Size & Scope of Government: Our government is entirely too big and has become entangled in too many facets of our daily lives, not to mention bloated with unnecessary programs. We must capitalize on performance-based budgeting to get to the root of programs that are working and eliminate those that are not. Additionally, we immediately must roll back the job-killing and burdensome regulations that stifle the ability of small business to create jobs. We must allow them to flourish in order to grow our way out of this stagnant economy and once again take pride in the “Made in the USA” label.
- Immigration/Secure Borders: We must secure our borders and allow for the legal immigration of people to this country through a process spelled out by law. As the son of an immigrant, I am proud of the legal immigration that made this country great. However, in order to maintain our status as the beacon of the world, we must curtail the current flood of illegal immigrants.